Friday, September 28, 2012

...a Mendocino afternoon



A light fog lingered briefly when we turned onto the cliff walk that winds along the Mendocino coastline...




...but took its leave quickly. Just ahead a bench for the weary and for those who wish to linger for a moment...or longer.




Then this carving, a place to tuck a fond memory, a wish, or a deep grief perhaps...



I got lost for a little while...



and Bill meandered a bit...




past a meadow on the right...



...and to the left, the sea.  No fog, just blue skies, afternoon's golden light and peace.


I leave you with these words of Jean Shinoda Bolen from Handbook for the Soul edited by Richard Carlson:

"Whenever I experience something beautiful, I am with Soul. That moment of inward breath, that pause and awareness of 'how beautiful this is' is a prayer of appreciation, a moment of gratitude in which I behold beauty and am one with it. I have come to appreciate that having an aesthetic eye takes me effortlessly into soul."




6 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Those bluffs! One of my favorite places, and as you so well describe, perfect for contemplative ramblings.

violet said...

Just lovely! (I found you through Charlie, the Rainforest Soul)

Celeste said...

Welcome, Violet! I am grateful for these encounters through the ether. Look forward to many more...and to dipping into your writings.

Celeste said...

Ah, Gretchen, I never tire of this lovely coast. We traveled north to Reedsport, OR this summer..what a beautiful journey. I look forward to sharing some of the gifts OF the sea.

Charles Van Gorkom said...

Walking along a shore
walking the boundaries between
time and eternity
flesh, soul, body and spirit,
patrolling borders where finite
becomes infinite
exploring edges
ledges of meanings,
places where purposes collect,
beach combing the debris
of years

Celeste said...

I love your words! Perfect description of the coastal encounter.