Monday, June 4, 2012

...now and again



Evening has settled. Limbs stir and their small green leaf stars dance in the dusk. "Appalachian Spring" plays softly inside. The room is infused with garlic married to thyme, bay leaves and curry powder. Beyond the fence, a man, large and graceful, holds a tiny baby in his big arms and dances her to dreams. At the moment, three of us populate the universe. 

Within, a deep quiet. A long gestation, this birth. And I whisper "yes, yes" to the words of Thomas Merton carried since morning's first light. 

Do not depend on the hope of results. You may have to face the fact that your work will be apparently worthless and even achieve no result at all, if not perhaps results opposite to what you expect. As you get used to this idea, you start more and more to concentrate not on the results, but on the value, the rightness, the truth of the work itself. You gradually struggle less and less for an idea and more and more for specific people. In the end, it is the reality of personal relationship that saves everything.

Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy. That is not our business and, in fact, it is nobody's business. What we are asked to do is love, and this love itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy.

...I am coming to the conclusion that my highest ambition is to be what I already am. That I will never fulfill my obligation to surpass myself unless I first accept myself, and if I accept myself fully in the right way, I will have already surpassed myself.


Yes. Yes. Yes. 
I have lived these words. 
They are true.
I had to live them to know. 

I could send them to you.
Past the fence, over the big bridge, through the delta and beyond.
But you can't read these truths.
You will have to live them first.

Past the fence, over the big bridge, through the delta and beyond
You do not know that we pray for you.
We do. 
We will.

Hear this...
You are up to this journey.
Do not be afraid.
Take the next right step, then the one that follows.

When I am very old
I want you to sit with me
and we will say together
"Yes. Yes. We have lived the words."

The trees will sway.
And we will watch a woman swing her baby in her arms
while food simmers on the stove
and music plays.

amen

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

sweet significance....

Celeste said...

when quiet comes inside...gift

good morning, my friend

Charles Van Gorkom said...

Jacob had lost his sons, death by drought closed in on every side and God spoke gently to him: "Joseph (your favorite son) will close your eyes..."

From eternity to mortality comes understanding, comforting love, redemptive beyond all understanding...beautiful beyond all describing!

Celeste said...

What a powerful glimpse of the eternal in these words...the circle, timelessness. Thank you.