Wednesday, April 25, 2012

...note to self



At late walk's end
out back by the garbage bin
promises of shimmer pink
found me

In his novel East of Eden, John Steinbeck wrote: I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one...Humans are caught - in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too - in a net of good and evil...There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well - or ill?

Before Steinbeck's "Was it?" comes a "Shall I?" I am learning that everything hangs in that moment of choice. Before the next doing, a thinking helps. 

In front of me a plastic cup filled with water holds a promise that will wilt by day's end. Tomorrow, another will appear in some unlikely spot. Something winged this time perhaps, a butterfly or hummingbird. Or you, with your smile... or tears. A beautiful photograph from a friend or a new stanza from a poet. A bit of loveliness to prime the spirit. 



Sometimes a bit of beauty makes all the difference in the world. 
Between despair and hope hangs a blossom. 
Between loneliness and communion, a song. 
Unless I close my eyes. 
Stop up my ears and sing "la-la-la-la-la" to drown the music. 
Shall I? 
The answers to the hard, clean questions are born of such choices. 
I am grateful for all these little memos. 

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

Can that flower be real??!

Let's sing along with the music...truthfully, I know that we already are doing that.

Thank you, Celeste!