Monday, March 19, 2012

...Adrienne, this slog's for you

My friend, Doug, calls this format a "slog"... a blog set to a song. 
Dear Moms everywhere, skip to the bottom and click on the song link.
Listen to Dylan's prayer as you read.
Think of your own children
in this life and beyond
and feel free to cry with me.

From three days ...



...to three years

...all the way to the arms of the delightful young man in the red jacket: husband/best friend
Adrienne and Scott with friend...and our beloved Molly, the world's best Lab
a climb up one of the Fourteeners in Colorado



The day of my daughter's birth - March 18 - is borne on a thread of memory forever tied to my heartstrings. Adrienne arrived much as she has lived. Swooshed into this world quickly, three weeks early, eyes wide open. Some days and nights have been long but the years have sped past. Today, March 19, is the anniversary of our first car trip. She was barely twenty-four hours old when we strapped her into a car seat for the ride home from Brookwood Hospital. Thus began our journey. I cooked and vacuumed with her on my right hip. Pushed her through the mall as she spoke her third and fourth words (after Diddy and Mammy) to all who would listen: "new shoes". The first of many pairs that would carry her out into the world and away from me. I wouldn't have it any other way. 



She added another B to her monogram when she married Scott Burton. The joy grows. They are quite the pair. Both athletic, one laid back (sort of), the other not (sort of )...a good mix. He is an expert mountain biker. Ok, I admit, I'm dotty for him but expert, really...that's an actual classification. She is an architect, a runner (serious), a baker par excellance. They share incredible memories of Molly, pictured above. Now they love on Hatchet the Lab and Duke the Chesapeake Retriever. As well as Harley Cat the Calico and Snuggler (who is s-p-e-c-i-a-l, if you get my drift). Picture mountain bikes, skis, poles, a tent, sleeping bags, and a softball mitt (hers), two large dogs and two cat carriers: a car trip with the Burtons. 



She is in her element in nature...






And I am happy to have lived to see her make the journey we all wish for our children: she is at home within herself. 

Never dreamed we'd meet in Venice, but we did. (FYI, she is standing on the step above mine...we're close to the same height.)


Or in Boulder...


Dear God, for every intersection, thank you. For every memory, thank you. For protecting her, loving her, weaving your spirit into her, thank you. For all the broken places, thank you. For TODAY I thank you...all is finite and undeserved. All is gift.

To you, my sweet girl, I wish you many more celebrations. Whatever comes your way, remember how far we have all been carried...far beyond our individual means and abilities. You are joy. 

This is your journey to make. Choose wisely and wait upon the Lord. I wish you worthy dreams, honorable work, delicious play. 



After Adrienne's graduation from Auburn and subsequent move to Colorado, I played Emmy Lou Harris' "Boulder to BIrmingham" and  Susan Tedeschi's version of Bob Dylan's song, "Lord, Protect My Child" daily. I am nothing if not a glutton for punishment...bawled my eyes out every time. But I cherish these tunes. If the lyrics for the latter don't quite match (my child has much better than her mother's eyes and she is not a "he"), the truth of the prayer does. Note to Patrick: I play this for you too, but your slog will come in November so just hold your horses. 

Click the title below and give this a listen:


For his age, he's (she's) wise
He's (She's) got his mother's eyes
There's gladness in his heart
He's young and he's wild
My only prayer is, if I can't be there,
Lord, protect my child

As his (her) youth now unfolds
He (she) is centuries old
Just to see him (her) at play makes me smile
No matter what happens to me
No matter what my destiny
Lord, protect my child

While the world is asleep
You can look at it and weep
Few things you find are worthwhile
And though I don't ask for much
No material things to touch
Lord, protect my child

He's (She's) young and on fire
Full of hope and desire
In a world that's been raped, raped and defiled
If I fall along the way
And can't see another day
Lord, protect my child

There'll be a time I hear tell
When all will be well
When God and man will be reconciled
But until men lose their chains
And righteousness reigns
Lord, protect my child 


5 comments:

Jeannette said...

AWWW...I just had a two month visit from our daughter who has been away in Europe for the last year and I made a tiny little post after she left last week... Thank you for pouring this one and sharing Dylan's prayer...yes.

Celeste said...

I've follow your posts and knew of your daughter's visit. What a gift to see this once-child, forever-babe morph into a young woman. I am missing my girl these days. We make the most of time together, though. I hope you know how your writing stirs and invigorates me. Earlier today I was making notes and thought, "I wish I could run this by Jeannette!" Thank you for visiting. Blessings, love and light.

Swampcat said...

Celeste ~ as always, I love to read your writings ~ and I especially love accompanying photos, too. You both are beautiful! I miss my daughter so much, for she is now 1,000 miles away. Thank you for sharing ~ LOVE

Carole said...

What a beautiful post Celeste! And what a beautiful daughter you have! Our children are the external pieces of our mother-heart and, once we have had the privilege of watching them grow into adulthood, what more can we do than bless them on their way and pray Lord, protect my child.

Celeste said...

Carole, I've been missing you!!! Mentioned you recently in one of the posts... I love what you've written here: "external pieces of our mother-heart".

Sending you Eastered light and love,
celeste