Thursday, May 26, 2011

...there's a hole in the clouds somewhere


As my readers know, I moved out of my condo in February. The intervening months have been a “come as you are.”  I was terribly organized about the clothes packing thing, largely thanks to my friend, Joanie. And her system has worked rather well. For the most part. 
Keep in mind, I’m not operating out of an efficient, packed-for-business rolling bag. I have ALL my clothes with me during this transition. Every last thing. Almost. Some winter things are still in Georgia. And Tuscaloosa. For any of you who have lived in suitcase-land, AKA moving limbo, you will understand. I am happy to report that last Wednesday was an especially good day. I found my silver loop earrings.   
After spending a month in Georgia, I came to the west coast. Home, for the moment, is a sailboat. The v-berth...or, as I like to call it, “my crawl-in closet”...has room for my clothes, a blanket and a pillow. Cozy. This is adventure living!  No yard work involved.  I occasionally re-position the boat in the slip when the wind blows. I am also happy to report that I can now make a pretty knot and coil. Just don’t ask me the name of the configuration.
This morning I am ensconced below deck. Motionless except, of course, for fingers on the keyboard. Enforced stillness for the most delightful reason. Part of my boat-sitting responsibility is to facilitate the re-naming process. A wonderful artist name Mike is currently painting the new name on the sloop. He can’t have me jumping around below decks while he works. 
My marina life has afforded me the best of all possible worlds. I have solitude. And I have community. A number of live-in’s have introduced themselves. One, a grandmother, lives three docks over. She’s a delight.  Spunky and positive. Another, close to my age, lives two docks away. She immediately took emergency information in the event of the unforeseen. Thoughtful. We have bonded through stories shared in the marina laundry.  
Privacy is respected here. But when you are sitting on your fanny tugging on a line, help is offered. I’ve noticed also that sailors do not mind inquiries about their respective ladies (boats, I’m speaking of boats here). Quite the contrary. And I love to observe the relationship that exists between captain and boat. Recently a 34 ft. Hunter docked in the adjacent slip in the late afternoon. After the equipment was stowed, the sailor carefully hosed her down with fresh water. He stopped and wiped the stainless rail with his sleeve, then disappeared below decks. In a few minutes he reappeared, a satchel in hand. He climbed onto the floating dock and walked away. Head down, he slowly moved in my direction, then stopped suddenly. I watched  as he turned around, shoved his left hand into his trouser pocket, and rocked back on his heels. His eyes swept over the beloved boat, one long, last tender look before leaving.  
This lends credence to my theory about widow’s walks. Supposedly these rooftop spaces were inhabited by wives who watched their men leave in tall ships. Widowed by the long voyages. Enter the Wiki (text and photo):
“However, there is little or no evidence that widow’s walks were intended or regularly used for this purpose.  [They] are, in fact, a standard decorative feature of Italianate architecture, which was very popular during the height of the Age of Sail in many North American coastal communities. Beyond their use as viewing platforms, they are frequently built around the chimney of the residence, thus creating an easy access route to the structure. This allows the residents to pour sand down burning chimneys in the event of a chimney fire in the hope of preventing the house from burning down.” The Wiki refers to the design as “high maintenance and prone to leaks.” What boat owner wouldn’t grasp this concept?
Interesting. But I can hear Captain Smith explaining to his wife the need for such a design element. “I’m only thinking of your safety, dear. And, of course, I care about the style in which you live. All alone much of the time. So unselfish. The very least I can do.” (In my mind, Captain Smith looks amazingly like a young Rex Harrison in “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.”  Ahhhhh.) And while the words are slipping through his lips, a scene plays in HIS mind. He is home from the sea. The nautical clock in the hall has just struck three bells (two-thirty a.m. - an explanation of bells will have to wait for another blog). He slips out of the four-poster bed, walks quietly out of the room and journeys toward the housetop. Armed with his spyglass, he climbs into the cupola.  Off in the distance, lit by a full moon, gently rocking by the dock, is his ship. All is well. He smiles as he walks down the winding stairs to check on his other lady.

Life in a marina is much like life anywhere else.  Details may differ but essential truths resonate everywhere.  A friend who has spent much of his life traipsing around the world wrote this of his experience.  “As I travel all over the world to places as wealthy as Monaco or as poor as rural India, I find one recurring theme irrespective of religion, culture, education level or standard of living.  Just as a shake of the head means “No” anywhere on the planet, people simply want to live in peace...to provide for and raise their families, to enjoy social interactions.  It’s the same everywhere.  Only the crazies want to destroy others.  Only the desperate turn to violence to make a statement.  Almost everywhere that there is tolerance, there is peace.”
The Golden Rule...do unto others what you would have them do unto you.  Stated throughout the ages, in infinite forms, a variety of languages, and almost universally culturally non-specific.  
It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely and well and justly (agreeing ‘neither to harm nor be harmed’) and it is impossible to live wisely and well and justly without living a pleasant life.  Epicurus.

One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.  Plato’s Socrates
Zi Gong asked, saying, “Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one’s life?” The Master said, “Is not RECIPROCITY such a word?” Confucius, Analects

Beware lest ye harm any soul, or make any heart to sorrow; lest ye wound any man with your words, be he known to you or a stranger, be he friend or foe. Abdu’l-Baha
That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow.  That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn. Talmud, Shabbat
Recognize that your neighbor feels as you do, and keep in mind your own dislikes. Sirach 31:15

In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.  Matthew 7:12
When I was twelve, I lived for the arrival of The Ladies’ Home Journal. Fresh reading material delivered to the door...how wondrous. I recall an article about Helen Hayes, the doyenne of American theatre. She was also an inveterate needleworker.  While being interviewed, she stitched away on the center square of what would be part of a nine by twelve foot living room rug for her New York apartment.  Inscribed were these words attributed to Confucius:
If there is righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character.  
If there is beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home.  
If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.  
If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world.  
Whatever corner of this good earth you call home, may peace, love and light be with you.  There's a hole in the clouds somewhere.  And don't forget to let YOUR little light shine!

8 comments:

Ben Tarpley said...

I thoughly enjoyed and can certainly relate to your temporary living arrangements. I can state for certain that my time there in the "guest quarters" is the closest to "living in a closet" that I will ever come.

Have you run into TROUBLE since your arrival?7

Celeste said...

I run into TROUBLE several times a week!!! She asked about you! She is the poster girl for good cheer. Glad you enjoyed this.

RosieJo said...

Thank you, dear, for another gift of words. You always hit the mark.

Celeste said...

...and you always bring me joy!

Kim Butler said...

Thanks Celeste. If only more people would heed these words of wisdom.

Celeste said...

Thanks, Kim...writing is how i sort. when i'm "out of sorts", i write another blog! How fortunate we were in high school to have such incredible teachers. Mr. Barr and Mrs. Powell encouraged me to pursue writing. And writing - for business - was indeed my bread and butter. I hesitated, however, to be put myself on the line. Earlier today I wrote to a FB friend that I was finally ready to let go of the false god, What Other People Think (otherwise known as the patron saint of southern belle-dom). The post, "Faith, Weeds, and Dancing Shoes", represents a turning point in my life...love this new phase, look forward to each day.

Haganshoneybee said...

Thank you Celeste! Your writings are so inspirational and beautiful!

I felt like I was on the sail boat with you! Thank You!!

Celeste said...

Thank you for joining me on that sail!!! And for your kind words...